Service design is where designers work on creating optimal experiences & design solutions for service providers that directly or indirectly enhance end-user experience. Through service design, designers aim to create hassle-free, cohesive, & seamless experiences for service providers & end users across unique contexts & scenarios within very specific ecosystems. In simple words, service design is all about organizing a company’s resources that align & optimize experiences for both service providers & end users.
What are the benefits of service design?
- Service design can be one of the biggest competitive edge you can have over your competitors.
- By focusing on the customer journey from early on, it becomes easier & cheaper to fix issue in the beginning
- By viewing a service holistically, service design breaks silos within an organization
- Unifies the “internal service” within the organization to improve the “external service” provided to the customer
Service Design v. Product Design
Service design process is where you take a service offering & improve it by making it more seamless, aligned, & efficient by keeping the customer at the core of all design & business decisions. It aims to enhance the services offered by a service provider comprehensively enabling better collaboration & smoother operations.
Product design is about designing new products (or enhancing existing ones) by performing robust user research, finding gaps & problems within this ecosystem, defining a problem statement, & building design solutions for the same.
What are the main goals of service design?
- Improved quality & consistency of services across all touch points
- Improved service alignment with the business needs
- Ensuring the 4 Ps of service design (people, processes, products, & partners) are aligned towards the organization goal
- Streamline work processes to maximize efficiency & service quality to the customers
- Eliminating processes & segments that fail to add value to the end users